Did you know that 68% of consumers say they wouldn’t shop online without coupon code1? That’s an interesting statistic, for sure, but it doesn’t even tell the whole story. The “deal” mindset has become so ingrained in today’s consumers that 97% of consumers say they specifically look for deals while shopping2 and 92% of consumers look for deals even when they aren’t shopping3.
So, what kind of deals are you offering on your website? If the answer is “not much” or “nothing at all,” then you might be missing potential sales and new customers.
In this article, we’ll explain how businesses benefit from offering coupon codes to customers, and we’ll also share our top picks for the best plugins for WordPress coupon codes, deals, rewards programs, and other customer discounts.
How businesses benefit from offering deals, rewards, and coupons
Don’t believe that offering coupon codes would be an advantageous move for your business? There are four major benefits for businesses that offer coupon codes to the customers:
1. They help build brand loyalty.
Every smart business owner understands the importance of customer retention. Engaging existing customers with targeted marketing efforts and enticing rewards encourage repeat purchases.
2. They encourage first-time customers to give your product or service a try without a full-price commitment.
In fact, 39% of consumers said they have purchased a product from a brand they wouldn’t normally purchase from simply because they had a coupon4.
3. They help engage new and returning customers when business is slow.
Trying to get sales up in a slow quarter? A coupon code can be an excellent motivation for customers. In fact, 50% of customers say they’re more likely to patronize a business if they’ve received a promo code or a digital coupon5.
4. They reduce abandoned carts.
Let’s face it, no one wants to miss out on a great deal. An irresistible discount can often make or break a customer’s purchase.
WordPress plugins for coupon codes, rewards, and deals
If you use WordPress and/or WooCommerce to run your online store, there are many plugin options that allow you to implement and promote coupon codes and other discount types on your site. We’ve narrowed the choices down and put together this list of our top 12 picks for the best WordPress coupon code plugins.
1. Discount Rules for WooCommerce
Discount Rules for WooCommerce is a dynamic pricing and discounts plugin that allows you to set up a wide range of promotion types using a simple, straightforward interface. These discount types include:
- Coupon code discounts
- Store-wide discounts
- Category-wide discounts
- Product-specific discounts
- Bulk discounts
- Tiered discounts
- Bundle set discounts
- Conditional discounts
- First order discounts
- Purchase history-based discounts
- User role-based discounts
- Rules for applying multiple discounts
The plugin also offers a handful of features that help increase conversions, such as discount tables on product pages, “SALE” badges on discounted products, “You Saved $X” notes in line items and cart totals, and more. Promoting this kind of information in the buying experience communicates to the customer the sheer magnitude of the deal they’re getting. This helps motivate the customer to move forward with the purchase or else miss out on a great deal.
Discount Rules for WooCommerce offers a free version with basic features, as well as a premium version with three annual license types to choose from — $49 for a single site, $79 for five sites, or $129 for 25 sites.
2. WooCommerce Volume Discount Coupons
If a shopper discovers they only need to add one more item to their cart to qualify their order for a 20% discount, there’s a strong chance they’ll bite the bullet and buy that one last item. Half the battle, however, is making sure a customer even knows there is a deal to be had.
With the WooCommerce Volume Discount Coupons extension for WooCommerce, you can automatically apply quantities-based discounts in your customers’ shopping carts, as well as advertise information about those volume discounts on applicable product categories, product tags, individual product pages. Displaying volume discount information and automatically applying it at checkout not only encourages more product sales — it also prevents your customers from unknowingly missing out on a great deal.
WooCommerce Volume Discount is a premium plugin that costs $29 for a regular license or $199 for an extended license.
3. Smart Coupons for WooCommerce
Looking to expand upon WooCommerce’s default coupon features? Smart Coupon for WooCommerce is an extension that provides more advanced features and functionality for configuring, issuing, and managing coupons in your WooCommerce store. These features include:
- Advanced usage restrictions: Implemented more detailed restrictions on how a discounted is applied, based on the quantity, subtotal, or specific products in the cart.
- Product giveaways: Configure coupons to automatically add free products to a customer’s cart based on specific criteria.
- Gift coupons: Create coupons that customers receive after making an eligible purchase as part of a larger promotional event.
- Gift cards: Generate store credit coupons that can be gifted to customers or purchased by customers as gift cards for other people.
- Coupon banners: Promote your coupons with eye-catching banners and widgets.
- Coupon duplication: Save time on configuring coupons from scratch by cloning existing coupons.
Smart Coupons for WooCommerce offers three license tiers billed on an annual basis — $69 for a single site, $99 for up to five sites, or $199 for up to 25 sites.
4. Coupon Creator
Coupon Creator is a free plugin that allows you to create simple coupons that you can add to your online store as shortcodes. These coupons come in a variety of coupon designs and templates, which you can customize to fit your exact needs and brand style guidelines.
Here’s a quick look at what features are included in Coupon Creator:
- Expiration dates: Set coupon expiration date based on date range or printing date
- Reveal coupons: Track coupon clicks with coupons that hide the code until clicked
- Dynamic coupon codes: Generate unique coupon codes per print view, per code reveal
- Affiliate code links: Customize coupons with your affiliate code links
- Popup coupons: Display and allow printing for coupon from a popup
- WooCommerce add-on: Create WooCommerce coupon from within the coupon editor
- Coupon borders: Choose from a variety of border styles for easy printing and cutting.
Coupon Creator is free to use.
5. Code Shop
Code Shop accepts all major credit/debit cards and can facilitate transactions through a variety of payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, Blockchain, BitPay, Authorize.Net, and more. That also means it accepts any currencies used by these payment gateways, such as cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
Code Shop is a premium plugin that costs $21 for a regular license or $105 for an extended license.
6. Points and Rewards for WooCommerce
Want to give back to your most loyal customers, retain new customers, and improve your conversion rate? The Points and Rewards for WooCommerce plugin give businesses the power to build a customer loyalty program that rewards customers with points that may be redeemed for store credit or coupons.
Businesses can set up their customer loyalty program to allow customers to earn points after signing up for an account, submitting an order, leaving a review, or referring other customers. In addition to redeeming their points, customers can view their points balance, review their membership benefits, and receive email notifications about point balances and redemptions. The plugin gives you the ability to assign point values for categories and specific products, set expiration periods for points, and track and modify your customers’ points.
Points and Rewards for WooCommerce offer three annual license types — $79 for a single site, $189 for five sites, or $259 for 10 sites.
7. YITH WooCommerce Gift Cards
YITH WooCommerce Gift Cards allows you to sell digital or printable gift cards of any amount in your online store. Using the plugin’s gift card management interface, you can control gift card expiration dates, set discounts for gift cards, review gift card delivery status, suspend gift cards, add QR codes, choose where to display the coupon code form at checkout, and more.
This plugin also gives customers the ability to customize the appearance, content, and dollar amount of gift cards with the following features:
- Unlimited card design categories: You can set up categories with gift card images for customers to choose from (Birthday, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Graduation, etc)
- Custom image uploader: Customers can upload their own images for an ultra-personalized gift card.
- Gift card value: You can set fixed dollar amounts, or let the customer choose a custom amount.
- Advanced send options: Customers may choose multiple recipients and schedule the gift card’s delivery date.
- Multilingual support: Customers can purchase gift cards in any language with the WordPress Multi-language (WPML) plugin.
- Physical gift cards: You or your customers can send physical gift cards easily by simply downloading the gift card’s printable PDF version.
- Automatic email notifications: Customers receive email notifications that let them know when their gift card has been delivered and redeemed by the recipient.
YITH WooCommerce Gift Cards offers a free version with basic features, as well as a premium version with three annual license types to choose from — $119 for a single site, $269 for six sites, or $499 for 30 sites.
8. WP Coupons and Deals
Are you a blogger or marketer who relies on affiliate coupon codes and affiliate deals? WP Coupons and Deals is a freemium WordPress plugin that allows you to promote affiliate codes and affiliate links in individual pages and posts with a simple shortcode.
The free version offers a lot of useful features, including a “click to copy” functionality, social share buttons, coupon categories, a voting system, an expiration system, and more. Meanwhile, the paid version offers additional advanced features, such as the ability to hide coupons (critical for protecting your affiliate sales), coupon templates, coupon expiration countdown, coupon archive page, and more.
Annual billing for the Pro version of WP Coupons and Deals starts at $29.99 for a single site, $99.99 for five sites, or $199.99 for unlimited sites.
Technically, OptinMonster isn’t a dedicated coupon code plugin or eCommerce extension, but we’re including it in this list because this full-service lead generation plugin allows you to use unobtrusive, tastefully designed pop-ups to promote coupon codes and build your email list at the same time. By treating coupon codes as a valuable lead magnet, you can incentivize your site visitors to share their contact information with you in exchange for a sweet discount. With its simple interface, wide variety of premade templates and drag-and-drop builder, OptinMonster makes it super easy to set up a coupon code promotion.
Curious about what else OptinMonster can do beyond promoting coupon codes? Be sure to check out our ultimate OptinMonster review for an in-depth look at the software’s features and interface.
OptinMonster offers four plans to choose from ranging from $9/month for Basic, $19/month for Plus, $29/month for Pro, and $49/month for Growth. Enterprise plans are also available.
10. Ninja Popups
Ninja Popups is another good option for creating lead generation popups that encourage visitors to subscribe to your email list in exchange for a coupon code. There are 65+ premade templates to choose from, and the plugin’s Drag & Drop visual editor allows users to customize a template or create a popup from scratch in mere seconds with no coding required.
Other features of Ninja Popups includes:
- Exit intent popup trigger: Set your popup to trigger only when they make page movements that indicate they are leaving the page.
- Inactive user popup trigger: Set your popup to trigger after a certain amount of time has passed with no mouse of keyword activity.
- Scroll percentage popup trigger: Set your popup to trigger after they have scrolled a certain percentage of the page.
- Google Analytics event tracking: Track events triggered by your popups, floating bars, and sliders inside your Google Analytics dashboard.
- A/B testing: Find out which variations on your popups, floating bars, and sliders perform the best.
- Page level targeting: Assign different popups based on the post or page.
- Integrations: Ninja Popups integrates with WooCommerce and all major email marketing and social media platforms.
Ninja Popups is a premium plugin that costs $22 for a regular license or $155 for an extended license.
11. Social Offers
Social Offers is another lead generation plugin for WordPress that allows you to attract and reward new email list subscribers with coupons, PDFs, zip files, music, and other valuable digital lead magnets. After uploading a reward to a specific popup campaign, visitors will automatically receive that reward after submitting their emails.
Campaign setup is straightforward and offers a range of customization options for images, copy, offer parameters, popup trigger settings, targeting rules, and social sharing.
Social Offers is a premium plugin that offers a 14-day free trial. When billed on an annual basis, pricing starts at $29/month for the Basic plan, $49/month for the Pro plan, $79/month for the Business plan, and $179/month.
The bottom line
If you want to increase sales, reduce abandoned carts, engage new customers, and build a loyal customer base for your business, then it may be time to start offering coupon codes, deals, and rewards to your customers.