What is lead generation?
Lead generation is how you attract potential clients to your WordPress site and convert them into long-term customers. A good lead generation strategy locates and targets your most valued prospects and initiates their journey through your sales pipeline.
Once you generate a lead, you need to (re)engage them at each stage of the Customer Journey, nurturing them along your sales funnel towards a final purchase decision. The more leads you create, the more sales you can generate, and the better you manage each lead, the better the speed and quality of each sale.
With the popularity of WordPress, there are hundreds of different online lead generation and lead management software apps you can use to supercharge your online sales growth. Each plugin helps create positive engagement with your new lead as they move from learning about your product or services to taking the next step to choose your brand.
This article lists the top tools available, ranks the best ones, and lists out some pros and cons for each so that you can make an informed decision on the lead generation tools that are best for you.
Table of contents
- Choosing the best WordPress lead generation tools and plugins
- CRM plugins
- Social media management plugins
- Lead capture plugins
- Content management plugins
- Plugins for engaging leads
- Plugins for analyzing web traffic
What are the best WordPress lead generation tools and plugins?
Lead generation tools and WordPress plugins connect directly to your website and supply new features or functions. Think of a plugin like an app that you load on your iPhone or Android device. You can download many different apps, and they all provide you with a unique service.
Lead generation tools are no different. Each plugin helps you accomplish a different aspect of your marketing strategy; some lead generation software apps help you find prospects, others with collecting and organizing emails, while others help promote prospect engagement.
The ideal lead nurturing strategy involves a combination of tools, each working together to move a prospect along the sales funnel. There is no one-size-fits-all plugin, and you will get a better return on investment with individual tools that work best for your unique business model.
A customer relationship management (CRM) plugin stores and organizes prospective customers’ information. The system manages every aspect of your relationship with each customer, whether that means monitoring their engagement with one of your cold email campaigns, or tracking the personalized messages you send to long-term clients.
With a CRM system in place, you can automate tasks such as email creation, data analysis, and form builders, helping to improve communication with each prospect, and at a reduced cost. The stored data can also provide insights on potential business (d)efficiencies, and you can act on that knowledge to reduce any friction your leads might feel.
By connecting a CRM plugin to your WordPress site, you can take advantage of several digital tools:
- Contact capture (emails, forms, landing pages)
- Customer information databases
- Visual depictions of your sales pipeline
- Messaging tools
- Marketing schedulers
- Visual graphs built from compiled data
Companies that use a CRM experience a 29% increase in sales on average, and CRM’s are reported to generate $8.71 on every dollar spent. Finding a good CRM can pay huge dividends to your lead generation activities.
We suggest the following CRM systems for a WordPress site:
- Hubspot: Hubspot has a designated plugin that connects you to its software platform. Hubspot is comprehensive, giving you access to form builders, email templates, live chat functions, and analytics. Most of the platform’s tools can be automated and scheduled for better organization. In a survey, 53% of respondents stated that Hubspot was far superior to any other CRM they’d used.
- Fluent: The app focuses on email campaigns, sequencing, and contact segmentation. Fluent has a simple interface that can make your lead generation storage easy. It is an email automation tool designed for WordPress with all the essentials you need for large email subscriber lists.
- CallRail: CallRail is a CRM built for mobile use and customer calls. With incoming call speech tracking, AI analysis of transcripts, and a support center where you can chat with and text leads, CallRail is ideal for customers who need phone-based lead generation. The plugin directly connects with WordPress.
Social media management plugins
Social media management plugins directly connect your site with your social platforms, helping expand your digital reach while streamlining user traffic. 66% of marketers reported that they generated leads from social media after spending just six hours per week on a social platform. Add that 27% of digital consumers say they find new products via social media and that 90% use social platforms to communicate with a brand, and you can understand how useful social media tools are for your lead generation strategy.
But there are numerous possible social outlets, and each platform has different site integration methods, ad spends, analytics software, chat functions, and features. To organize your social media strategy and ensure you are effectively connecting with each lead, use a social media management app.
The fewer barriers a customer feels as they move between your social pages and your primary website, the better your sales pipeline will flow. Whether it is automating conversions, developing insights from gathered data, posting content from a single app, or compiling platform updates in an RSS feed, you can use social plugin tools to build complete campaigns that drive more traffic with less time and effort. Use social media management plugins to improve experiences on your digital channels so that users can locate and share your brand with ease.
We recommend the following three social media management plugins for a WordPress site:
- Facebook For WordPress: The plugin installs a Facebook pixel onto your site that captures data insights as a new lead interacts with your Facebook page. Use the collected information to improve the customer’s journey as they shift from the social platform to your website. You can also develop custom audiences, build ads that target primary Facebook users, and create content that generates priority leads. Facebook has 28.5 Billion active members, and 26% of users who click on a Facebook ad result in a sale. Use Facebook For WordPress to leverage one of the most powerful social lead generation and sales conversion platforms.
- Pixel Caffeine: Pixel Caffeine also uses a Facebook pixel to track user interactions, but it includes features that focus more on your product catalog (great for ecommerce sites!) and Facebook audience. With a few clicks, you can sync your sales products directly to a Facebook page. Once you gain visitor traffic, you can develop remarketing campaigns that reach those priority leads. You can use the analytics tools to create audience segments based on what buttons they click or forms they fill out, giving you usable data for further social media campaigns.
- Google Tag Manager for WordPress: You can track user data on your site in several different ways, and Google Tag Manager (GTM) organizes that data through tags placed on your website. But manually coding tags is a time-consuming process and can create a host of errors. To automate the task, you can use the GTM for WordPress plugin. Start collecting data on embedded media clicks, scrolling, and even the user’s current weather without editing any site code.
Lead capture plugins
Lead capture is the process of attracting and collecting a customer’s information so that you can foster a business relationship. For example, you might earn email addresses from a capture form attached to a free webinar or e-book. Once the client inputs their information (which collects in your CRM), you can use that data to increase communication and start their journey down your marketing funnel.
Marketers use different types of content called lead magnets to help capture lead information. Common lead magnets include:
- Video tutorials
- Email newsletters
- Resource guides
- Case studies
Lead magnets take a lot of work to build, and you also need digital material such as email campaigns, form builders, landing pages, and exit-intent tech to capture your client’s data.
To help develop and automate each of these lead generation tasks, use the following lead capture plugins:
- Opt-in Monster: Opt-in lets you install features like pop-ups, countdown timers, and screen overlays on your WordPress site. It has onsite retargeting offers that let you send promotions to customers with exit intent. You can also take advantage of its A/B testing and analytics to optimize your lead capture campaigns.
- Constant Contact: Use the plugin to connect to your WordPress account and add contact forms to your site. Create custom email campaigns and even a complete e-commerce store with this lead generation tool.
- WP Forms: Use this plugin to build and create your own custom forms — no need for a third-party developer. Use templates to make simple but effective lead capture forms for your landing pages, without slowing your site speed and page performance down.
- Gravity Forms: With a well-designed builder for lead forms, and integrations with WordPress, Hubspot, and Zapier, Gravity forms allows you to create custom forms and collect user data with minimal hassle. Gravity Forms also connects with another app called Campaign Monitor, making your email lead generation and form capture process completely seamless.
- Ninja Forms: Ninja Forms is all about making the complexity of form building easy. There is no need to code or spend hours designing advanced capture forms with this intuitive app and WordPress plugin.
- SeedProd: SeedProd is a drag-and-drop landing page builder, allowing you to collect customer information and build your subscriber list, all from engaging land pages that attract organic traffic. It also works on mobile phones and includes page templates.
- Elementor: If you need a complete website tool that can build landing pages with every feature you might need, use Elementor. Select from hundreds of dynamic templates, and make live edits if needed. Designed for WordPress, this plugin offers an excellent user experience for you and the customers who enter your landing pages.
- Popup Maker: If you want site popups that drive user interest, protect against page bounces, and offer discounts or coupons, use Popup Maker. The plugin includes email capture, floating box forms, and cross-sells with Woocommerce.
Content management plugins
Content Management Systems (CMSs) allow you to alter, edit, and modify your digital content. New leads first interact with your content before engaging with your product, so presenting a positive experience with quality thought-leadership can help increase your lead generation.
In a 2019 web design and mobile UX study, researchers measured a 30% uptick in sales and a 70% increase in purchase quantity after optimizing front-end webpages for a more convenient buying experience. In short, the features on your website, the content you build, and how easy your pages are to navigate can all make an impact on your business growth.
Content management plugins give you tools that add the professional, user-friendly design options your site (and your users) can benefit from, without any coding involved. CMS plugins present content editors, search bar functions, app widgets, page builders, and more to improve your web design. Create user-optimized web pages that attract and retain traffic.
Here are our WordPress content management plugin suggestions:
- Gutenberg: Gutenberg turns the content on your WordPress site into manageable blocks, and you can edit, rearrange, and modify those blocks with ease. The simple interface makes it easy for you to create attractive content pieces on your website. It bills itself as a content editor but functions as a complete page builder.
- Elementor: We already discussed Elementor for your landing pages, but you can update your entire web design with this CMS plugin. It is simple to use, has drag-and-drop features, and close to ninety elements (buttons, progress bars, counters) that will elevate your current WordPress site into an attractive online space.
- Advanced Custom Fields: Custom fields are the actual spaces where a lead inputs their personal information, so how you present those fields can be the difference between a new email in your CRM or a lost sale. Advanced Custom Fields lets you add fields onto any WordPress form, such as event reminders, content posts, and even comment sections.
- SiteOrigin Page Builder: While some page builders have restrictive themes to maintain a professional feel to your content, SiteOrgin gives you complete freedom to create web pages with its page builder. It integrates with other WordPress Plugins, making it easier to add on other complex widgets and custom features.
- Beaver Builder: Beaver Builder takes any of the HTML or CSS work from your WordPress site and makes creating well-designed front-end pages simple. It has developer-friendly features that make it a steady and reliable content management plugin.
Plugins for engaging leads
Several software tools can help increase the communication between you and your prospective leads. Consumers demand online interactions via email, social media, product support teams, and recurring content.
Companies with omnichannel experiences (i.e., multiple digital interaction points) retain 89% of their customers, compared to the 33% to those who do not, so creating online methods that nurture your customers will lead to business growth. Use these lead engagement plugins to meet your customers at every level of your sales pipeline:
1. Email marketing plugins
- Hoosh: Create newsletters, build subscriber lists, and send notifications about recently published content to email leads with this WordPress integrated email plugin. It also connects with Marketo to automate your email tools.
- GoDaddy: Leverage GoDaddy’s email sign-up form and WordPress widget to collect email leads and remarket to those prospects. It has fewer features, making it easy to use (which might be exactly what you are looking for).
- MailChimp: Connect your WordPress site and several other lead generation tools (Gravity forms, Woocommerce) with this plugin. Known for great email templates and automated email campaigns, MailChimp can help you build regular email content that will nurture your cold email leads.
- Join.chat: Use Join.chat to connect your customer support teams to your users through major messaging apps such as Whatsapp, Messenger, and iMessage. Install communication links on your social media, or add a floating button on your WordPress site.
- Moneypenny: Moneypenny connects your business with a live chat support agent, outsourcing all customer inquiries made through your website’s chat widget. Give your user access to person-to-person help without the infrastructure and overhead cost.
- Hubspot Live Chat: Add a chat widget to your WordPress that offers automated responses, chatbot communication, and email alerts if you want to communicate live with your users.
3. Dynamic content plugins
- If-So: Dynamic content includes elements that change according to the user’s preference. With the If-So plugin, you can personalize any webpage and how it interacts with your leads. Create individual offers, give personal recommendations, or include dynamic triggers based on the customer’s location or shopping cart. For example, you can prepopulate naming fields to your marketing material so that each user’s name appears before each brand interaction, giving your entire site that personal touch.
Plugins for analyzing web traffic.
Analytics apps give you insights into the actions your users are taking while they engage with your business. You can use the data collected in an analytics plugin to understand customer behavior, such as why a user might bounce from your page, why certain products get abandoned at checkout, or what causes a bottleneck in your marketing funnel. Your customers are telling you what they want as they explore your digital channels — collecting that information and acting upon it is one of the best ways to optimize your lead generation strategy.
Here are the four best analytics plugins you can integrate with your WordPress site to start collecting traffic data:
- MonsterInsights Google Analytics: Track nearly every element of your WordPress site, including bounce rate, pages per session, traffic sources, conversion rates, site journey, and more. MonsterInsight connects your Google Analytics account to your site and features a handy dashboard on your admin page with priority data and compiled reports.
- SiteKit: SiteKit combines four Google tools (Analytics, Search Console, Adsense, and Speed) into one plugin that tracks and crawls your WordPress page. Get the insights on every element of your webpage and Google ads without manually integrating each google platform.
- Rank Math: Rank Math adds search engine optimization (SEO) tools onto your WordPress site, and it uses the stored data to help you increase your ranking on search engines. Track how visitors find your site and the search queries they type, then take steps to improve your results page position and increase organic traffic.
- WP Statistics: WP Statistics compiles user interaction data metrics that are far less complex than Google Analytics. Plus, the plugin is GDPR compliant, meaning it protects your customer’s data with a high level of security. Use this plugin for simple data collection that is safe and secure.
Lead generation is a crucial aspect of any healthy business. But with the right set of tools, you can streamline your sales pipeline, attract more priority clients, and offer them a better user experience, all of which can improve conversion rates.
If you struggle with finding the right plugins for your business or want more information about integrating each of these lead generation tools into your WordPress site, why not sign up for our newsletter for the latest trends and tips?